Often described a a town for everyone, Southbury comprises sprawling rural county areas, suburban neighborhoods and historic districts. It is a short distance from major business and commercial centers, and is within 80 miles (130 km) of New York City and 40 miles ( 64 km) of Hartford; the latter the capital of Connecticut. The town of Southbury was one of several towns formed out of a parcel of land purchased from the Paugussett Indians in 1659. Southbury was originally part of Woodbury, which was settled in 1673.
Southbury is part of the Pomperaug Regional School District, a 15-school system that includes Southbury and Middlebury.
There are more than four town parks, three state parks and a 700 acre nature sanctuary (Audubon Center at Bent of the River) in the Town of Southbury. Dedicated to the protection and preservation of Southbury's natural resources, The Southbury Land Trust is a private, non-profit organization which controls more than 800 acres of land in town, much of which is open to the public.
Southbury is the only community in the country with the name "Southbury", which is why the town seal reads Unica Unaque, meaning, "The One and Only".
For more information on Southbury, please visit the town website at: www.Southbury-ct.org